Donations of Cash
Island Nature Trust depends on the generosity of like-minded individuals and organizations for all aspects of our day-to-day work. We are grateful for your donations of funds, which you are free to direct to specific needs and for which we can issue a charitable tax receipt. Some of the most pressing needs are:
- Land acquisition – for every donation of land, we must secure funds to cover appraisal and legal fees, sometimes survey and subdivision, and also a contribution to our Stewardship Fund. Where we are purchasing a property, there is the cost of the purchase to fundraise
- Land stewardship – with 4,000 acres in 46 natural areas, we have annual costs associated with monitoring and maintenance, including forest diversification (through tree-planting, plantation management or gap creation), garbage clean-up, invasive species control and biodiversity research
- Wildlife programming – we support long-term monitoring and stewardship programs for species-at-risk, including piping plover, bobolink, barn swallow, Canada warbler and olive-sided flycatcher. These programs are heavy on staff time and training, as well as travel costs
- Operational – keeping the lights on for a small charity is increasingly costly. Office rental space, audit costs, computer and communications expenses are all rising. Often these types of real costs are not eligible expenses for project-based funding from philanthropic foundations and so we must look elsewhere to cover them.
We can accept cash, cheques, credit cards, money orders or E-transfers. You may also opt to donate monthly via credit card, a monthly debit from your bank account or from the comfort of home via our partner support at CanadaHelps. Receipts are sent directly from CanadaHelps if that option is selected for donating. Please get in touch with us to find out more.
Legacy Gifts of Cash & Securities
Sometimes it can be difficult to set aside funds when your annual expenses remain uncertain. If your circumstances allow, you may wish to consider leaving a legacy gift to Island Nature Trust in your will (bequests) or donating securities.
Bequests and In Memorium donations are automatically directed to two legacy investment funds, our Endowment Fund or our Stewardship Fund. These investments provide long-term financial security for Island Nature Trust by growing funds to support future operational, acquisition and land management costs. As required by Canadian Land Trust Standards and Practices, the capital in these funds remains in place while a portion of the income generated each year can be withdrawn to cover expenses.
Securities may also be directed to either or both of these long-term investment funds. In addition to receiving a charitable tax receipt for the value of the shares, this type of donation is exempt from capital gains tax.
Please get in touch with us if you would like to find out more. We can provide information on tools and resources that might help you decide what option is best for you. We also have a template to assist your lawyer in framing the language for a bequest in your will.
Thanks to a partnership with American Friends of Canadian Conservation (American Friends) you can help us protect this special part of Canada with a contribution of cash or securities, and receive a tax benefit in the US.
Support our work in one of the following ways:
- Donate online at American Friends secure site using your credit card if you want to make a one-time contribution, or you can set up a recurring gift
- Donate stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares to American Friends to avoid US capital gains taxes while receiving a tax deduction for the current value of your securities. Contact Sandra Tassel at 360-515-7171 or firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions
- Mail a check (in US funds) to:
American Friends of Canadian Conservation
336 36th Street #717
Bellingham, WA 98225
Print, fill out, sign and send a Grant Recommendation with your check to request that American Friends use your donation to make a grant to Island Nature Trust. The language in the recommendation is necessary for your gift to be tax deductible in the US.
Thank you for your support of Island Nature Trust through the partnership with American Friends!